If it's crap ... We'll tell you
Though not due out in theaters until 2015, Warner Brothers is sure taking tiny little baby steps toward the production of their Justice League movie. Still no word on a director nor even a firm idea of which version of its tent pole characters (Batman, Superman, etc) will appear in the film. Now, thanks to a site called Cosmic Book News, we may have a few answers...and unfortunately a few more questions. The site has bits of information on each of the members of the league, some of which are mere reiterations of what we know of them from the comics, but other bits are specific to how they will be portrayed in the movie. There are even a couple of cameos potentially revealed here...
• Superman is essentially the same character from Man of Steel , and Zack Snyder is consulting
regarding the writing of the character.
• Batman: The strategist of the group. Batman doesn't really want to be involved with these super powered beings he considers too powerful. Easily the most complex written.
• Wonder Woman: She has only been in man's world a few short months. The Wonder Woman script Michael Goldenberg is developing will be set before the Justice League movie.
• Green Lantern: Will be Ryan Reynold's character from the Green Lantern movie, but will be freshly written with a more serious tone.
• Flash: The most popular hero in civilian eyes who loves media attention, but when called upon is very serious.
• Martian Manhunter: Alien who has lived on Earth in secret for over a hundred years who has knowledge of Darkseid and his reign.
• Aquaman: Will be the King of Atlantis who has a key role in the film.
• There will also be a heavy military presence in the film which in future rewrites could include characters featured in Man of Steel or even Amanda Waller (Angela Bassett) of which neither are included in the first draft.
• Alfred Pennyworth is in the film in a minor appearance.
• Lois Lane is also in the film in a cameo.
• Darkseid's Elite will be featured who go up against the Justice League early on in the film.
The first thing to note about these character info bits is that there is absolutely no guarantee that they are definite or even confirmed. But as they haven't been debunked yet, we'll play devil's advocate. Things like The Flash loving media attention and Batman not really wanting to be part of the group are not groundbreaking considering the comics, but the items that pertain directly to the movie, though they must be taken with a grain of salt, are worth considering. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that the Superman in JLA would be the same from 'Man of Steel,' meaning Henry Cavill, and in fact I would be surprised if that weren't the case. After all, would WB really want a third reboot of Superman in nine years? Similarly, Alfred and Lois Lane cameos are also rather reasonable.
The surprises here are things like Zack Snyder's consulting, the mention of Ryan Reynold's Green Lantern being the one that appears in Justice League, and that we'll be seeing Darkseid's Elite in addition to the King of Apokolips himself. It's hard to decide whether Snyder's involvement in JLA is encouraging or discouraging until we've seen 'Man of Steel,' however the Green Lantern note is concerning. What a disappointing movie that was. When they say it's going to be "Ryan Reynold's character from 'Green Lantern,' are they saying that Reynolds will actually be starring as Lantern or that it'll simply be the Hal Jordon iteration? Please say it's the latter. The idea of the Darkseid Elite means the presence of several villains at once. That should offer a pretty formidable challenge for this motley crew of heroes. It would also however mean a lot of extra work for a casting department that already seems way behind.
What do you guys think? Do you believe any of these reports? How do you feel about the possibility of Ryan Reynolds reappearing as Green Lantern? Snyder's consulting? Thoughts on the Darkseid Elite?
Source: Cosmic Book News