Zack and Miri Make a Porno
* According to Entertainment Weekly
, The Weinstein Company greenlit the project based solely on the title.
* The role of Miri was originally written for Rosario Dawson
. However, due to prior commitments with Eagle Eye
, she had to decline.
* Writer/director Kevin Smith
wrote the role of Zack with Seth Rogen
* Jason Mewes
' character, Lester, has a slight lisp in speech, but it wasn't so much a creative decision. Mewes underwent painful dentist surgery throughout filming, leaving him with that lisp in his everyday speech.
* The first film by Kevin Smith that neither is set or shot in his native state, New Jersey.
* Kevin Smith originally wrote the film to be set in Minnesota, where he had shot Mallrats
prior, and had stated a desire to shoot there again. However, for budgetary reasons, Smith opted to shoot in Pittsburgh, and re-wrote the script to take place in Monroeville.
* A portion of the plot is based on director Kevin Smith's experience making Clerks.
: very low budget, working with friends, using a hockey stick as a boom microphone pole and shooting in his place of employment.
* The city of Philadelphia refused to allow the film's poster to appear at bus stops because the title contains the word "porno".