If it's crap ... We'll tell you
For the Spillios planning on spending more than just the 3 Con days in Austin, I was considering organising a trip out to the Hamilton Pool Preserve, recognisable to many of us from films such as Teeth, Predators and The Tree Of Life.
UPDATE: Date confirmed as 14th of June, probably meeting up / heading to the pools around midday. Transportation and a meet up location will be organised in the weeks to come.
They're located about 23 miles (37kms for us metric folk) west of Austin, with a $10 Travis County Park entry fee. Transport to and from would have to be organised, but considering it's just an idea at this point we could work that out later. And considering Let's Do This used to start each week with "Boy, it's hot as hell up here!", I'm assuming it'll be good swimming weather.
Website here for those interested: http://www.texasoutside.com/hamiltonpool.htm
I want this...
This sounds fucking awesome.
I will have to check this out later on, though, and see how my funds are looking.
This is something I missed last time, would totally be up for it if I go. A few of us went tubing last year as well, which was a fucking blast!
Soooo pretty. I wanna go!
Link didn't quite work for me so I found this.
But some special notes are worth noting:
- The preserve is occasionally closed due to flooding or hazardous trail conditions.
- Day use only preserve: the gate is locked at 6:00 pm and all visitors must be out before that time.
- Parking is available for 75 vehicles. The parking lot is closed temporarily when capacity is reached. Vehicles are then admitted on a "one out, one in" basis.
- The pool trail is 1/4 mile in length and includes a series of rock steps descending into the canyon. Sturdy footgear is recommended. Visitors with physical disabilities can be accommodated by prearranging assistance. Please call prior to your visit.
- Swimming is periodically prohibited due to high bacteria levels in the pool, and a heavy rain will typically close the pool to swimming for a week or so. Nesting cliff swallows contribute to high bacteria levels in the early summer. Swim at your own risk (when swimming is allowed). There are no lifeguards on duty. For updated swimming conditions please call (512) 264-2740 before you come.
Whether people are up to doing this or not, we're pretty much at the mercy of the weather.
Damn you nature!!!! I'm leaving my refrigerator door open all night tonight just to punish it.
Wow...nice research there PoopaPapa. Still, I think it'd be a great place to check out even if swimming isn't on the agenda (and at the weather's mercy)...
We wont have to worry about flooding...it'll be super hot summer time.
Then maybe a dip in a bacterial stewpot won't be such a bad thing.
Either way, I'm definitely up for this. Alls to do now is see who else is and organize transportation.
Count me in.
I don't know how long anybody else will be staying for this shindig but I'm thinking about hitting this spot up on either the 14th or 18th. Maybe as some sorta informal meet and greet to make early acquaintances or one last trip before heading off our separate ways, perhaps? Maybe some dinner afterwards?
I'm still figuring out a way to get there though. I've yet to check bus routes but I think if all else, a taxi will have to suffice.
Anyone else have any ideas?