If it's crap ... We'll tell you
overall it's a fun movie, nothing great but still worthy of a matinee viewing for fans of the original.
the remake definitely uses a lot of items from the original but mixes things up to help keep it a little fresh. Below are a list of things they carry over from the original.
- they do drive off in an old pick up to get out of town and head for the hills.
- the father inspires the sons to fight and dies will being an inspiration
- a tracker/bug is used
- spider holes!
- WOLVERINES! is shouted
- Wolverines is the school mascot
- the radio announces the codes "the chair is against the wall"
- a more seasoned soldier is brought in
- the mayor sells out and works for the invading forces (Koreans & Russians)
- drinking of deer blood
and some of the things that weren't brought over but maybe should have
- the conversation the Cuban commanding officer has about being tired of war
- seasons! weird right? the flick takes place in Spokane WA but the weather never changes so I got the feeling the whole thing happens in 3 months.
Don't expect this one to have the patriotism (merikuh f/ck ya!)of the original, instead it goes more for the pulling of the heart strings whenever a good guy dies on a more personal level ("they killed my friend" sort of thing)
finally, the movie definitely gives a feeling of a possible sequel, unlike the original where there's a closing speech even though the war was still going on, this one introduced a villain but didn't really do anything with them which makes me wonder if they want to bring them back for part 2.
So like I said, it's worth a matinee but if you wait for it on DVD you'll be fine too and I'll be honest, it looks like it was meant to be viewed in a home theater rather than on the big screen.