In order to complete an assignment using for my Theories of Communication class, I need to “interview” at least two individuals (one male and one female), between ages 25 and 45. I have to utilize the Uses and Gratifications Theory
to analyze people's consumption of media.
Assignment deadline: November 10, 2010
Forms of mass media: Television, Movies, Music, Magazine, Internet, Video Games, etc.
- Entertainment (to seek fun, amusement or excitement)
- Surveillance (to keep up with what’s going on in the world)
- Information (to learn about things that are interesting and useful)
- Diversion (to redirect one’s attention to the “media identity”)
- Escape (to forget about the problem at hand)
- Social interaction (to have something to do with or say to others)
- Parasocial interaction (to “talk back” to media personalities)
- Identity (to find people or ideologies with which to identity)
- Pass time (to relieve boredom and kill time)
- Companionship (to reduce the feeling of loneliness)
Interview Questions (When answering the questions, please refer to the above information):
- What is your full name? (If you feel comfortable about posting your real name, I would use it to reference your response in my essay. If you are not comfortable, that is fine and I will make due without it.)
- Are you male or female?
- What is your age?
- What are your top three forms of media?
- What are your motives for choosing your top three? Please explain your answers.
- What form(s) of media do use most frequently? Why do you use these the most?
- How long do you participate in activity (watching TV or reading a magazine), before you do something else?
- Do you prefer using media by yourself (reading by yourself) or in a group (watching a movie with others)?